Thursday 10 April 2014

5 days of learning about England: the language

Welcome back to this series on learning about England. I hope it will be useful for those of us who live in England and want resources to help our children learn more about their native land as well as those from abroad who may want to visit either in reality or virtually.

Day 1: Introduction
Day 2: History
Day 3: Food
Day 4: The language


It didn't dawn on me for many years that I might have an accent. After all, isn't the way that I speak normal? When I went to medical school, I was teased about my Kentish accent particularly dropping the last g on words so, for example, working became workin. My children still notice that I say yer rather than year.

Still, I was a bit shocked when I listened to an audiobook version of Anne of Avonlea. Surely, Anne couldn't have a Canadian accent?


More recently, using some US curricular materials and working with the mainly US ladies on the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I have become a bit more aware of my British English and yes, there are a fair few differences (US/UK):

  • pants/underpants
  • chips/crisps
  • jumper/pinafore dress
  • sweater/jumper
  • -ize/-ise
  • silverware/cutlery
  • flashlight/torch
  • color/colour
  • favorite/favourite
  • check/cheque
  • store/shop
  • airplane/aeroplane
  • truck/lorry
  • freeway/motorway
  • trash/rubbish
  • eraser/rubber
  • dishwash/washing up liquid
  • all purpose flour/plain flour
  • gas/petrol 
I still am a bit puzzled about SUVs. I know they are some sort of car but what? Any answers from US friends?

We happily used the Five in a Row study guide and books for sometime but when we looked at Truman's ant farm the play on the words ant and aunt just didn't work. We say aunt as unt and ant as, well, ant! This didn't stop one of the children loving the book but he had to have the issue with words explained.

Do you have an accent? What version of English do you speak? Please feel free to add to my list. I know there are many more words that aren't quite the same.

Some of my fellow Schoolhouse Crew members are also taking part in the 5 days blog hop, this week. Do visit these blogs
Ellen @ Grace Tells Another Story ~ Making Homeschooling Fun!
Marcy @ Ben and Me ~ Helping Children in Uganda
Wendy @ Simplicity Breeds Happiness -- International Meals
Melanie @ FinchNWren ~ Finchnwren's Fabulous Family Movies
Sarah  @ Delivering Grace ~  learning about England
Victoria @ Homemaking with Heart ~  Connecting with the Creator through Nature Study
Joanie @ Simple Living Mama ~ 5 Days of Charlotte Mason Preschool
Gwen @ Tolivers to Texas ~ A Happy, Peaceful Home
Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses ~ Homeschooling 4 FREE resources
or click on the banner for even more topics.
April Blog Hop 


If you enjoyed this post you may like to follow Delivering Grace by Google Friend Connect, G+,FacebookPinterest or e-mail.

1 comment:

  1. My children are fascinated with English culture, thanks to lots of BBC and Doctor Who. Thank you for sharing this series!

    ReplyDelete