Thursday 22 September 2011

Gingerbread map

We've been reading "Climbing  Kansas Mountains" by George Shannon which talks about a salt dough map.

Within the last couple of weeks, we made a salt dough map of part of Africa. Eldest Daughter had told me then how much better it would have been if it had been made of cookie dough. I had this feeling that she was right so a cookie dough map it was.

Middle son traced an outline of England and Wales. We didn't put the dough on this but just used it for guidance. It saved the atlas!

We made up some gingerbread dough.

which we shaped into England and Wales-not quite to Ordinance Survey standards-and cooked.
We added cities with purple writing icing, the Thames with blue and the White Cliffs of Dover with white.
I have to say that Wales, Cornwall and the Lake District are no more but it was a fun way to learn.

This is linked to It's Playtime.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! We are studying the American states this year. I'd love to see if I could replicate this! So glad I found you through It's Playtime.

    ReplyDelete